Moving is one of the most stressful things people have to do. Lucky for you, we’ve put together a list of five unique moving tips. Our list of top tips include:
1. Place The Initial Quote Everywhere
A good trick to do is request a quote from a moving company. What will happen is they’ll come to your home and look at the stuff you’re moving. They’ll ask you questions and then they’ll provide you with a quote in writing.
Take that quote and make several copies of it. Next, request estimates from other companies because when their representatives arrive and see copies of the initial quotes on your fridge or your moving boxes, then they’ll take notice. The chances are they will beat that quote.
2. Don’t Pay For Packing Supplies
Did you know you don’t have to pay for packing supplies? That’s a good thing because you can easily spend hundreds of dollars on supplies. The different ways to get packing supplies for free include:
- Ask friends for cardboard boxes. You can ask your neighbors and co-workers, too. Also, check with large retail shops because some of them will give you empty cardboard boxes they aren’t using anymore.
- Instead of using bubble wrap, turn to alternative shipping supplies such as bath towels, sheets or blankets. Other articles of clothing will work too. Such items can be used to protect your belongings from breaking during the move.
- Substitute moving boxes with other types of containers you have in your home. This includes baskets, backpacks, suitcases and plastic bins to name a few.
3. Use The Matryoshka Packing Principle
This principle refers to how Russian nesting dolls can easily fit inside each other, due to them decreasing in size. When you pack your belongings, you should do the same thing. Pack items inside similar items because this will save you space, save you cash on shipping supplies and you will not have to use many boxes.
4. Take Many Photos
Take many photos before you move. While you’re at it, take photos after you move and even during the move. There’s a few reasons for this, such as:
- Reconnecting wires and cables will be easier. Take a few quick photos of your electronic devices, including your desktop computer, gaming system and things of that nature. Trust us when we say taking photos of the wires and cables will save you a tremendous amount of time.
- Photos prove the condition of the place. If you’re renting an apartment or house, then you’ll be able to prove its current condition when you have photos.
5. If A Door Is In The Way, Remove It
As crazy as this sounds, remove a door if it’s in the way. Doing this will easily give you an extra inch or two.
If you have large furniture you’re moving, then go ahead and take down any doors that are in the way. This may be a basic and generic tip, but do not underestimate its effectiveness.